Monday, June 17, 2013

Quilting Break

So its kind of nuts how long its been since I've had a chance to do some quilting.

I've been struggling to find the time, in between the changes in work that have increased my responsibilities & stresses and that I started going to the gym.  I would say its been at least six months, if not more for anything outside of some EPP on my grandmother's flower garden.

Test Block w/ sashing on 2 sides
So while I had a little staycation the last few days, I've been able to get some quilting done. I had to do a test block (pictured here) on W's wedding quilt to double check that my math was right. It's been so long that I was really questioning that it was right.  And what do you know, it was all right.  It was just a reaffirmation that I should stop doubting myself and trust that I know what I'm doing.  I love that I've gotten to do some test blocks, it will really let me RD the quilting for the overall quilt.

Since the design of the block, I've wound up going a different direction. The construction is easier, as a log cabin style block put on point; instead of the original design which involved paper piecing.  W. wanted her quilt to be made of kona solids in her wedding colors, the equivalent of coal and bright pink. Although I really liked it done with the batiks & color shifts in the original version of the quilt design, its her quilt and I want her to love it.
Piecing stack

I've really enjoyed getting back to quilting, and need to start making time for it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment