Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dog Toys - Braided rope pull

I liked this simple homemade dog toy, a braided rope pull.

I wonder into the local fabric store and buy some remnant fabric - usually flannel, I like the way it feels. Take it home and cut/rip into 1"-2" strips, what ever I feel like and works with the fabric, making sure that the strips are in multiples of three.

I take three strips, placed on top of each other and sew across the top, making sure that the seam is very sturdy by going across multiple times. If you are in a hurry or just don't want to get the sewing machine out, you can alternatively make a strong knot across the top of all three strips.

Then I start braiding, when it gets too long to hold comfortably, I tie the already braided pieces around the table leg or a chain back something sturdy that I can pull against. Well, or ask my crafting partner to hold it taught for me.

When I near the end of the fabric strips, there are several ways to join: you can miter the edges like you would for binding; you can knot the edges of the strips together; sew the edges together; or cut a slit in each of the strips and pull the second strip through the first - see V & Co 's Braided Rag Rug tutorial at Moda Bake shop.

However, you choose to join the strips, the braid is worked on until you achieve the length you want or think is most managable to play with your do. Then knot the end of the braid and sew across the remaining strip. Add knots along the length of the braid, where ever you want. These knots provide holds for your dog to chew/pull from.

Beware though, if your dog really likes this toy, then be cautious when making it as otherwise he/she may help themselves to the toy while you are still working on it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment