Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Free motion quilting

I finished the quilting on my first free motion quilt. I continue to see all my mistakes, though I will admit that it looks awfully good when viewed with some distance. I enjoyed the meandering stipple, even if overall quite a few of my curves wound up with points and angles. Overall, it really turned out well. Yay! So all it needs is a border and I will have finished my first quilt for myself.

Unfortunately, I have made a habit of only finishing the quilts that I give away as gifts. I am working on this by starting to build up my trousseau. I can only hope that my relationship with my boyfriend leads to its need. Anyway, I really enjoyed the freedom of free motion quilting though I think I would like a little guidance since I am just starting out. So next time I may choose to draw some basic quilting lines/motifs before I start.

I even did a pieced back. I am so excited. Its a perfect little lap quilt. All it needs is the border now for me to finish it. Though again my apparently bad sense of taste/style has reared its ugly head again so I need to pick up some white to finish the binding. Well, the white didn't work with the quilt, so I wound up finding a kona cotton red in a darker shade than the predominant red for the quilt. I can't wait until it is done. It's sitting in my room with the binding pinned on, ready to go as soon as my machine stops acting up. What a pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment